OK, I guess I have to accept the fact that winter is officially here – the first snowfall of the season arrived, bringing frigid sub-zero temperatures along with it. I must say, it was pretty impressive to see all the white flakes swirling around outside the 20th floor boardroom at the Harper-Collins Canada office, where I was attending a writing workshop run by the legendary Dianne Jacob.
It’s just a dusting, and definitely nothing compared to the 3 feet that blanketed London, ON a few hours southwest of us, but we still had to bust out the salt pail and the warm parkas. Sob.
To compensate, I’ve huddled in my warm kitchen for most of the day with the first beef stew of the year bubbling away on the stove.
1. On Wednesday, American Thanksgiving and Hanukkah collide in a once-in-a-lifetime event better known as Thanksgivukkah. I’m kind of bummed I’m not Murican, because it means I have no excuse to celebrate.
I’m looking forward to seeing all the photos on Facebook, though… bring on the latkes with apple-cranberry sauce and Manichewitz-brined turkey!
2. Oh, and there’s an unofficial official anthem for Thanksgivukkah. It’s… ummm… not entirely sucky.
3. Speaking of Thanksgiving, how adorable are these printable DIY boxes for leftover pie? I’m totally making these for next year’s Thanksgiving. (And by that, I mean Canadian Thanksgiving.)
4. Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably already seen the amazing Rube-Golberg-meets-Beastie-Boys-meets-Barbie video for GoldieBlox, a toy company whose aim is to turn the current generation of girls into the next generation of engineers.
For the rock-dwellers among you, you really really really ought to check it out. (And for the rest of us, just watch it again and enjoy it while you can. Apparently the Beastie Boys are suing. Sigh.)
5. Cold weather means it’s time to bust out the hot cocoa. And hot cocoa means homemade marshmallows. Like… maybe… these adorable little Candy Cane Marshmallows from Family Fresh Cooking.
6. Also on my pre-holiday to-make list are these Eggnog Cookies from Jen’s Favourite Cookies. Eggnog is my kryptonite. I just can’t say no to the stuff!
7. And last, but definitely not least, you must check out these squeeeee-worthy photos of Beau the human and Theo the puppy during their daily naptime.
Warning: Serious cuteness is involved, enough to make even my ovaries a little itchy. (I’m sure Beau will be utterly mortified when he’s a grouchy emo 15-year-old, though.)