Holy shnikes. How are we halfway through December already?
I hope most of you are ready for the holidays, because those last few days on the calendar seem to be flying by at lightspeed. (Remember how it felt like Christmas took FOREVER to come around back when you were a kid? Why can’t it just stay like that?)
I may or may not have a few gifts still left to buy, because I’m a terrible procrastinator. In my defense, I know exactly who’s left on my list, what they’re getting, and where I need to go get their gift. I just haven’t had a chance to actually go there and buy the thing on my list, that’s all. :P
1. The Mister and I went shopping at Sanko this afternoon, and picked up a bottle of yuzukosho sauce and some black sesame paste. (We did not, however, come home with a box of Red Bean Sandwich Kit-Kats, though I was sorely tempted.)
Any suggestions as to what we should do with either? I’m thinking the sesame paste will end up being used for black sesame ice cream, but I’m open to suggestion.
(PS: Toronto-area folks, if you’ve never been to Sanko before, you really ought to make the trip. It’s a tiny space, but it’s crammed chock-full with every Japanese foodstuff you can think of, including a large assortment of crazy Kit Kat flavours.)
2. Got a hard-to-shop-for foodie on your list? Buzzfeed has a list of 17 awesome food subscriptions to help you out.
If anyone is trying to figure out what to buy for me, the Bacon of the Month Club would be a really good start.
3. This girl draws a cat on her boyfriend’s sandwich wrapper every day. No word on whether he’ll be proposing after the 300th sandwich, though.
4. Considering we’re knee-deep in snow, there’s no reason I should be craving ice cream… but apparently my belly hasn’t gotten the memo, because it’s grumbling over this Peppermint Cookies and Cream Ice Cream from Completely Delicious right now.
5. On a more seasonally appropriate note, how cute are these little snowflake-shaped Gingerbread Madeleines by Buffy and George? These sound like a perfect snowy day treat, especially with a big hot mug of black tea!
6. If you’re planning on having a bunch of hungry revelers at your house on Christmas morning, The Kitchn has you covered with a roundup of brunch recipes to feed a crowd. I’ve got my eye on that Breakfast Wreath, personally.
7. We’re almost finished with Breaking Bad, which means I will soon be on the hunt for a good TV show to watch. Anyone have a favourite they’d like to suggest? (We’ve already blown through the full series of The Wire, The Killing and Dexter, as an FYI.)