I know the calendar says spring is already here, but it still feels very much like winter here in Toronto. No wonder I’m craving a little sunshine in my diet.
Thankfully, I received a little edible sunshine a few weeks ago in the mail, when a package arrived from Not Yer Granny’s Granola containing samples of all three of their flavours – Hello Orange, Maple Me Happy and Pumpkin Pizzazz.
It’s about as close to homemade as you’ll find from a store. Each blend is made with whole grain oats tossed with a blend of fruits, nuts and seeds that is then hand-toasted to golden-brown gorgeousness.
(You remember my Banoffee Yogurt Parfaits? That’s Mighty Maple sprinkled on top.)
Best of all, they don’t skimp on the fruits and nuts, which is usually my biggest issue with storebought granolas. The Maple Me Happy is full of big chunks of walnut and dried cherries, the Hello Orange has sliced almonds and plump raisins, and lots of pecans and in the Pumpkin Pizzazz. There’s nothing in these bags that I would’t put in my own granola.
It’s enough to eat straight out of the bag (or in a bowl with a splash of milk, if you’re feeling more civilized), but I decided to try my hand at working it into a recipe.
Inspired by the blend of sunny orange and hint of rosemary of their Hello Orange flavour, I created this simple olive-oil based coffee cake that is sprinkled with a generous handful of granola. The light, almost fluffy cake is the perfect contrast to the crunch of the granola, while the bright orange flavour carries throughout.
It’s perfect for breakfast… or as a snack… or after dinner… or pretty much any other time you might possibly need get your daily dose of sunshine.
At the moment, you can find Not Yer Granny’s Granola in select stores in Barrie and surrounding area, but they assure me that they’re planning on expanding their little empire to the GTA this summer. Which is good news for me… I’m already jonesing for another bowl of Hello Orange!
Not in the GTA? Never fear. Canadian residents can also order online and get orders shipped right to their door.
Disclosure: I received a sampler package of granola from Not Yer Granny’s Granola for review and recipe development purposes. No other compensation was provided, and as always, opinions are entirely my own.
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup Not Yer Granny's Granola (Hello Orange or Maple)
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 9-inch round pan, and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sugar, olive oil, egg, orange zest, orange juice, rosemary and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir together until just combined into a thick batter. Scrape into the prepared pan, and smooth out the top. Sprinkle the granola onto the top of the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Set on a wire rack to cool completely before serving.