When it comes to cravings, I tend to be the impatient type. I want what I want, and I want it right now.
And let’s be real… when that craving involves a big pile of crispy, salty, golden brown fries, there’s no way I’m going to bother with from-scratch.
On days like those, I’m more than happy to get instant gratification in the form of McCain® 5-Minute Shoestring Superfries®. In the time it takes to scrub potatoes and dust off my mandolin slicer, I’ve got a heaping pile of golden-brown fries with minimal mess and hassle.
Sure, they’ll never stand up to my homemade fries (lovingly prepared from fresh potatoes using a tried-and-true Belgian double-cooked technique) in a taste test, but they deliver everything I’m craving at that moment in time – crispy and salty on the outside, tender on the inside, and yes, they really do go from freezer to plate in 5 minutes flat.
Not too shabby for something you can pick up in the freezer aisle.
They’re pretty tasty plain out of the oven, but they’re even better once they’re garnished with a trio of tasty toppings.
McCain calls this technique a Modifry™. I call it delicious. And you can call it dinner.
My personal take on the technique tops off a pile of fresh-from-the-oven fries with currywurst – a popular German dish consisting of slices of golden-brown pan fried pork sausage in a spicy curry ketchup concoction that’s equal parts tangy, sweet and spicy.
I cheated a little bit on the three-ingredient rule by making my own currywurst sauce, but trust me, it’s worth it. All you need is roughly 15 minutes and a handful of pantry ingredients to whip it up, and you can always nake a double batch to make sure you’re prepared for any future cravings that might strike.
Think of this Modifry as instant Octoberfest in a bowl. Giant stein of beer and leiderhosen entirely optional.
Auf wiedersehen, fry craving.
Disclosure: This post was brought to you by McCain Foods Canada. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of McCain Foods Canada.
For other Modifry recipes and ideas, check out the McCain Foods Canada website.
- ½ yellow onion, very finely minced
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp paprika (hot or sweet, depending on your preference)
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce (optional)
- 1 package (340g) McCain Superfries 5-Minute Shoestring
- 2 links fully-cooked smoked pork sausage
- Green onions, finely chopped
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium-high heat, saute the onions in olive oil for 5-7 minutes, or until translucent and soft. Sprinkle with curry powder and paprika, and continue cooking for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Whisk in the ketchup, water and sriracha sauce, if using. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thick and smooth, about 7-10 minutes, whisking periodically.
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare the McCain Superfries as per the package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy-bottomed skillet, pan-fry the sausage until well-browned on both sides. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain, and set aside until the fries are done.
- To assemble, sprinkle the finished fries generously with salt, then divide between four large, shallow bowls. Divide the sausage between the four bowls, then ladle a generous amount of currywurst sauce on top. Finish with a sprinkling of green onions. Serve immediately.