Welcome to Day 5 of Ice Cream Week 2014! This year the event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen, who have teamed up with 25 amazing bloggers to share some amazing ice cream recipes with you.
As you might remember from my Day 1 post, I really really really like mint chip ice cream…. but you know what’s even better? Sandwiching a big fat scoop of that ice cream between two big, fat, chewy chocolate-mint chip cookies for a double-dose of cold, creamy, chocolate-minty goodness.
Which, as you might have guessed, is exactly what I did here.
I started off with a variation on my Big Fat Chewy Cappuccino Cookies. (Which, incidentally, are also amazing for making ice cream sandwiches, especially with coffee ice cream. Swoon.) A couple of minor tweaks later, I had myself a stack of cookies that were just as big and fat and chewy as the originals… only, y’know, with chocolate and mint and stuff.
While it was mighty tempting to gobble them down on the spot, I managed to resist, mostly because I was a woman on a mission. I was richly rewarded in the end, because they only got better after a couple of days in the freezer with a generous amount of homemade mint chip ice cream smooshed in the middle.
I can’t think of a better way to wrap up Ice Cream Week. Well, except maybe for a week of salads and smoothies… but I think we’ll save that for next week.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup mint chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line two large cookie sheets parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until completely incorporated, then stir in the vanilla.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Add to the wet ingredients, and stir until just barely combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a ¼ cup measure, scoop the cookie dough onto the prepared cookie sheets, spacing about 3" apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-17 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned and centres look set. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
If you can't find mint chocolate chips, substitute with regular dark chocolate chips and add ½ tsp of pure peppermint extract to the cookie dough.
Be sure to visit all of today’s Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Roasted Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blackberry Peach Ice Cream by Scoop Adventures
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sundaes by The Redhead Baker
- Maple Whisky Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream by Life Tastes Good
- Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream by My Catholic Kitchen
- Coffee Chip No Churn Ice Cream by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Caramel Macchiato No Churn Ice Cream by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Double Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches by Crumb
- No Churn S’mores Ice Cream by The Spiffy Cookie
- Cocoa Pebbles Ice Cream Cake by Wishes and Dishes
- Mocha Mint Milkshake by The Gunny Sack
- No Churn Low Carb Peanut Butter Coffee Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours