If I had my way (and the kind of metabolism that would let me burn a zillion calories just checking Facebook), I’d eat burgers every single day. In fact, I’d probably eat burgers three times a day, every single day.
Burgers for dinner. Burgers for lunch. And yeah, burgers for breakfast too.
More specifically, these burgers for breakfast.
These babies are my contribution to Burger Month, a month-long celebration of the tastiest, awesomest, most-over-the-top-est burgers the blogosphere has to offer.
(And yeah, there might be some giveaways involved. Scroll on down to the bottom of the post to get the low-down.)
Think of these as what your standard issue breakfast sandwich wants to be when it grows up. I’m talking about a hefty homemade maple pork sausage patty, gooey melted pepperjack cheese, crispy slices of double-smoked bacon, and a fried egg on top… all sandwiched between a toasted challah bun. Let’s just say that I didn’t call them “epic” for nothing.
(And yes, I know I called this a brunch burger, but you can totally eat this one for lunch or dinner. Just, y’know, preferably not both. At least, not on the same day.)
I’d strongly suggest making these the next time you’ve got a special occasion that calls for a spectacular brunch. And by special occasion, I really mean next Sunday morning.
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp minced fresh sage
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp minced fresh marjoram
- ¼ tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 12 strips double-smoked bacon
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices pepperjack or cheddar cheese
- 6 egg buns, split and toasted
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground pork, maple syrup, salt, pepper, sage, thyme, marjoram and dried pepper flakes. Using your hands, mix until everything is well combined and the seasonings are evenly distributed throughout.
- Divide into 6 equal portions, and shape each one into a wide, flat patty.
- Heat the oven to 200F.
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet, fry the bacon until crisp and browned. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with paper towel, and place in the oven to keep warm.
- Working in two batches, pan-fry the sausage patties for 3-4 minutes per side until browned and crisp on the outside and no longer pink in the middle. Keep warm in the oven while you finish cooking the eggs.
- Pour any accumulated fat from the pan into a clean heavy-bottomed skillet. Place over medium-high heat. Fry the eggs, one or two at a time, until the whites are mostly set. Gently flip over and continue cooking for a minute, then place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining eggs, adding butter or oil to the pan if needed to keep from sticking.
- To assemble the burgers, place two strips of bacon onto the bottom half of each bun. Top with a sausage patty, a slice of cheese, a fried egg. Finish with the top bun. Serve immediately with a big pile of home fries or a green salad on the side. (And lots of napkins!)
To help you get into the mood, we’ve rounded up some amazing prizes. A big thanks to the sponsors who oh so kindly donated some burger-themed goodies: Char-Broil, Cabot Cheese, Le Creuset, Dreamfarm, Spiceologist & Woodbridge Wines. Also, a big shout-out to the rest of the Burger Month crew, and to the delightful Miss Kita of Girl Carnivore for rallying the troops.
For more details (and throw your hat into the ring), just click on this here handy-dandy Rafflecopter widget. (Note: This giveaway is open to residents of the US only. Apologies, Canadian friends. I’ll have something for you soon, pinkie swear.)
For more fun on a bun, check out these posts from my fellow Burger Month bloggers:
- Cheddar Stuffed Apple Slaw Burger from Girl Carnivore
- Fig and Smoked Mozzarella Bison Burger from She’s Cookin
- Corn Fritter Breakfast Burgers from The Spiffy Cookie
- Lamb and Goat Cheese Burgers with Cabernet Barbecue Sauce from Creative Culinary
- Queso Fundido Burger with Poblano Rajas from Cooking in Stilettos
- Open Face BBQ Chicken Burger with Peach Corn Salsa from Nutmeg Nanny
- Tuscano Burger from Country Cleaver
- Cuban Burger from Farmgirl Gourmet
- Salacia’s Sensational Surprise from Culinary Adventures with Cam
- Double Decker Carolina Burger from The Mom Chef