Welcome to Day 1 of Christmas Week! This annual event started in 2012, and is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic. This year we have over 35 bloggers sharing festive sweet recipes, plus a huge Amazon Gift Card Giveaway.
It’s hard to believe, but the countdown to the holidays is on, starting off with a week-long celebration of all things seasonal and sweet with some of my favourite bloggers.
And this year, I’m kicking things off with a bang. Well, actually, truffles… which is basically the same thing when it comes to Christmastime treats, if you ask me.
I’ve had eggnog truffles on my to-do list for a while, but my initial plan of using eggnog in lieu of cream in a traditional white chocolate ganache failed miserably.
(Well, kind of miserably. I have a jar of delicious white chocolate eggnog syrup in the fridge waiting to be stirred into lattes later this month. Failure never tasted so sweet.)
Then I realised that regular white chocolate ganache is already is already creamy and sweet all on its own, so all it really needs to achieve true eggnog perfection is a generous splash of dark rum and a sprinkling of fresh-grated nutmeg.
Success, as it turns out, is even sweeter then failure. Not only did this end up being way easier than my original plan, since you don’t have to go out and buy a carton of eggnog (though that’s not such a bad thing if you’re into eggnog), but it also achieves a perfect gooey sweet eggnog-scented truffle center.
And best of all, you can easily transform that eggnog-scented ganache into a beautiful edible gift with nothing more than a quick dunk in melted white chocolate or an even quicker roll in ground almonds. Perfect for anyone who landed on your “nice” list this year. (And maybe for those on the “naughty” list too, depending on how charitable you’re feeling.)
I think it’s a worthy start to the week, don’t you? Now bust out your stretchy pants and get ready to feast your eyes on more Christmas treats than you can shake a holly stick at. Remember, the calories don’t count until the New Year’s resolutions kick in!
For more holiday treats, don’t forget to check out the rest of today’s Christmas Week posts:
- Pistachio Brittle from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Coconut Lemon Raspberry Bundt Cake from Desserts Required
- Peppermint Bark from Poet in the Pantry
- Eggnog Pound Cake from The Redhead Baker
- Quince, Cranberry and Persimmon Crisps from Pineapple and Coconut
- Chocolate Fruit ‘n Nut Bites from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Fancy Chocolate Covered Marshallows from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Coffee Cake from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Marzipan Fruits from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Eggnog Truffles from Crumb: A Food Blog
- Peppermint Fudge from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Gingerbread Cake with Orange Cream Glaze from Comfortably Domestic
- Christmas Sweets and Treats from Food Done Light
- Spiked Hot Cocoa Gift Mix from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Chanukah Olive Oil Cookies from Mother Would Know
- Coconut Pralines from Food Lust People Love
- Blueberry Overnight Sweet Rolls from My Catholic Kitchen
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies from Daily Appetite
- Chocolate Dipped Gingersnaps from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Dark Chocolate Almond Cheesecake Cups from Savory Experiments
- Bourbon Soaked Eggnog Cake from Cooking In Stilettos
- Ginger Snap Cocktail from Food Babbles
- Coquito Cinnamon Roll Bundt from Mind Over Batter
- No-Bake Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Easy White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge from Big Bear’s Wife
- Easy Cream Cheese Cookies from Everyday Southwest
- Gingerbread Cookie Bars from From Gate to Plate
- Molasses Ginger Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Apricot Spice Biscotti from Savoring Italy
- Caramel Bacon Bark from Dixie Chik Cooks
- Gluten Free Chocolate Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies from The Tomato Tart
- Easy Macadamia Cashew Brittle from Aloha Flavor
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp dark rum (or 1 tsp rum extract)
- 1 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- Icing sugar, for shaping
- Melted white chocolate
- Ground almonds
- In a medium heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt the white chocolate chips. Add the heavy cream, butter, dark rum and nutmeg, and whisk together until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and chill until firm enough to scoop, about 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and dust your hands with a little icing sugar.
- Scoop heaping teaspoons of truffle mixture and roll into balls, dusting your hands with more icing sugar as needed. If you find the ganache is getting too soft to roll easily, transfer it to the freezer for 5-10 minutes to firm up again.
- Using a fork, dip the truffles into the melted white chocolate, and place on the prepared baking sheet. (Or, if you prefer a more low-maintenance option, roll the truffles in a thin layer of ground almonds instead.)
- Place the finished truffles in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to firm up, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
Up for grabs are three (3) Amazon gift cards valued at a total of $800 USD. Three winners will be selected: a first prize winner of $500, second prize of $250, and third prize of $50.
The Christmas Week Amazon Gift Card Giveaway is open to residents of the United States and Canada who are at least 18 years of age. Giveaway will run from December 7, 2015 to December 26, 2015, at which time three winners will be randomly selected from the eligible entries. Winners will be notified by email, and must correctly answer a skill testing question to receive their prize.
Here’s the full list of this year’s Christmas Week participants: