Guess who’s got two thumbs and turned 40 last month This gal, that’s who.
I’m not gonna lie. I may have had a small existential crisis over the whole idea of entering a new decade of my life.
I enjoyed the hell out of my 30s, but there were a few things I wish I had done (or done more of) before closing the book on that period in my life. All the more reason to make the most out of my 40s… especially since everyone tells me they’re supposed te pretty amazing.
Maybe I’m overcompensating, but ever since then I’ve been thinking about spending some time trying to reconnect with my inner child, because life’s too dang short to have to adult all the time.
So I’ve put together a summer bucket list of things that me feel young again.
Cannonballing into a pool. Riding my bike really fast down a big hill. Strapping on a pair of pretty jelly shoes. Going out for a slurpee on a hot summer night, and mixing all the flavours in the same cup. Dancing all night long under the stars (okay, maybe just til 11pm… us old ladies need our beauty sleep).
Oh, and eating lots of popsicles.
I’m starting off that bucket list with these lovelies, which feature two of my favourite summertime flavours – creamy cheesecake, and sweet fresh cherries. It’s like eating a big ol’ slice of cherry cheesecake, except you don’t have to deal with turning on the oven in the middle of a summertime heatwave.
And if cherries aren’t your thing, they’re also quite lovely made with strawberries or blueberries, or even a mix of summer berries if you’re feeling a little indecisive.
They’re officially approved by my inner 10-year-old…. and my outer 40-year-old.
These pretty popsicles combine layers of creamy cheesecake and tangy sweet cherries for the perfect summertime treat. Don’t like cherries? Try strawberries or blueberries instead!
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen pitted cherries, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup full fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Make the Cherry Layer:
- In a small saucepan set over medium-high heat, simmer the cherries until they start to release their juices. Reduce heat to low, then stir in the sugar and lemon juice. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cherries are soft and the juices have thickened. Set aside to cool completely.
Make the Cheesecake Layer:
- Using a food processor or a mixer, beat together the cream cheese, sour cream and sugar until smooth.
- Continuing to mix, slowly pour in the milk, then add the vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and pourable.
Assemble the Popsicles:
Alternate spoonfuls of the cheesecake and cherry layers into popsicle molds. Place in the freezer until they’re completely frozen, at least 4 hours (but overnight is best).
It’s National Cheesecake Day! I’m joining up with some of my favourite bloggers with 16 cheesecake-inspired treats to celebrate.
We’ve got 13 brand-new recipes from the Celebrating Food crew today:
- Lemon Meringue Pie Cheesecake from Ashlee Marie
- Cheesecake Brownies from Creations by Kara
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes from Pretty Providence
- Cherry Cheesecake Popsicles from me!
- Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake from Savory Experiments
- Coconut Key Lime Cheesecake Bars from Real Mom Kitchen
- No Bake Berry Cheesecake Parfait from An Italian in my Kitchen
- Dairy Free Cheesecake from Namely Marly
- Cappuccino Cheesecake from Simply Stacie
- Chocolate Almond Cheesecake in Jars from Premeditated Leftovers
- No-Bake Vanilla Cheesecake Mousse from The Baker Upstairs
- No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake from Supergolden Bakes
- Instant Pot Cheesecake from My Mommy Style
And to round things out, here are a few other oldies-but-goodies from me: