Game On: Bacon Jalapeno Cheese Dip

Now, I’m not a football fan, by any stretch of the imagination… but I am most definitely a fan of football food.

Soft Pretzel Bites

Mostly, it’s because it’s a fantastic excuse to eat all the delicious fattening things that I rarely eat any other time of year.

Things that I honestly can’t say no to when they’re put in front of me.

Things like jalapeno poppers. I swear, I could polish an entire dozen of those deep-fried cheese-stuffed calorie bombs all by myself.

Jalapeno Bacon Queso Dip

This dip takes all the things that are so awesome about jalapeno poppers – the spicy jalapenos, crispy bacon, gooey cheddar and melty cream cheese – and then combines them in one deliciously caloriffic bowl of ooey, gooey queso dip. Which, by the way, means there’s one small upgrade from the original inspiration… because this particular dip, my friends, contains *beer*.

Jalapeno Bacon Queso Dip

It’s just the thing for dunking a batch of freshly-baked soft pretzel bites, though you can crack open a bag of tortilla chips if you’re a little pressed for time.

And when it’s all done, I’d strongly recommend a quick run around the block to burn off a few calories. Because unfortunately, watching football doesn’t actually count as exercise, no matter how much you might wish it did.

Jalapeno Bacon Queso Dip

Bacon Jalapeno Cheese Dip
Recipe type: Appetiser
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6
This dip takes all the goodness of a jalapeno popper, and turns it into a deliciously dippable game-day treat. Serve with tortilla chips, or up the ante with freshly baked pretzel bites.
  • 6 rashers bacon, diced
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 1 bottle Corona (or other Mexican-style lager)
  • 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, cut into small cubes
  • 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies, drained
  1. In large saucepan set over medium heat, cook the bacon for 3-5 minutes, or until it's starting to crisp and has rendered out most of its fat. Add jalapenos, and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp and the jalapenos are softened.
  2. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add the beer, whisking briskly to break up lumps, and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
  3. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheddar cheese and cream cheese, and simmer for 3-5 minutes longer, stirring constantly, until the dip is thick and smooth and bubbling hot.
  4. Serve the dip immediately, preferably in a warming crock or small fondue pot to keep it melty and warm.

1. Lizzie says

If you Google robbie’s recipes a link will come up for copycat recipes. There is one for Auntie Annie’s pretzels. I have made them before and they are the bomb!

• Isabelle Boucher says

I’m still working on that one, Amanda… it just needs a couple of tweaks to get it where I want it to be. Please stay tuned!

2. Patrick says

Two quick questions about the recipe. Do you drain off the bacon fat before adding in flour? And, what do you do with the green chiles? Add them at the end? Thank you. Looks great!

• Isabelle Boucher says

Hi Patrick! You should keep the bacon fat in the pan – it will blend with the flour to make a roux, which helps to thicken the dip once you whisk in the beer. And yes, the canned chilies go in right at the end – thanks for catching that oversight!

3. Ricardo says

Is there something that we can substitute the beer for? I have some people’s who do not like beer in cooking so I would like to make a alternative version for them and a regular one for everyone else..
    Thanks in advance

• Isabelle Boucher says

Hi Ricardo! I haven’t tried substituting anything else for the beer, but I’ve seen recipes that use either milk or chicken broth, and I can’t see any reason why either of those wouldn’t work here. The milk would make it much richer, while the chicken broth would be a little lighter.

4. says

okay, so: everyone told me to take it easy this Super Bowl with the high-cal foods.
    I said okay to that…mostly. because i’m making soft pretzels, and i’ve gotten the all-clear to make whatever dip i want. I’ve been waffling over which one.
    i waffle no more.
    now i’m going to make a dip flight: this, a beer/cheese, and a nacho. which *should* ensure everyone gains maybe 7 lbs. yay! :)

5. Mark Sims says

The instructions are flawed. In step 3 you instruct to add bacon-jalapeño mixture. From where? Step 2 has you adding flour and stirring to the bacon-jalapeño mixture. There is no mention of reserving anything. Your steps suggest cooking the bacon in a saucepan and adding the rest of the ingredients step by step.

• Isabelle Boucher says

Thanks for catching that, Mark. The step is from an earlier version of the recipe, but then I realised there was no noticeable difference if I took the bacon out and then added it back in (aside from an extra dish to wash afterwards). I’ve fixed the recipe now!

• Isabelle Boucher says

Thanks for the note, Dawn. Hooking up with Ziplist is one of the many things on my to-do list to help improve this blog… hoping to get the feature up and running soon.

6. says

The ‘big’ game coming up is a take it or leave it for me most often but I’m with you…the food is always worth splurging on and these look FANTASTIC.

This year I have to be honest, the big game has some additional meaning. Ahem, I live in Denver. Need I say more? :)

7. says

It really is everything that makes jalapeno poppers delicious, except I get to put it on top of more delicious things (like pretzels or chips)! Or, possibly just spoon it directly into my mouth… /drool

Crumb Divider